Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What to do with My Maternity Clothes



I was finally inspired to clean out my “maternity closet”!  After spending an hour sorting and folding all of the clothes, organizing everything by type (dress pants, jeans, short sleeve t-shirts, dresses, etc.), making a Goodwill pile and hiding my two favorite dresses (he he), I was amazed at the extent of my maternity wardrobe.  Yes, this was amassed over two pregnancies but given that the seasons were nearly identical that’s not much of an excuse.

It is also quite amusing to see the broad range of sizes and styles in the mix.  I’ve got everything from size 4 to size 10 and there are numerous pieces that I have in multiple sizes.  Needless to say, I get pretty big when I’m pregnant.  Forget the healthy guidelines (which we all should follow), this Chick gains no less than 60 lbs.  So take it from me, keep up your exercise routine throughout your pregnancy – it is a lot easier to lose 20 lbs than it was to lose 70 lbs.  And even if I’ve lost more than gained, I’ll never get my belly back – but I digress...


Looking at these massive piles of maternity clothes, which easily covers the Queen size guest bed and includes no less than 12 skirts and 14 pair of jeans, I knew there were only 3 things I could do:
  1. Get pregnant
  2. Open a maternity consignment boutique
  3. Make some newly pregnant Chick very happy
Option #1, is currently NOT an option given that my husband and 2 beautiful babies, a demanding career, and the Clueless Chick, leave me with 3 hrs precious hours of sleep which I am hanging onto for dear life.

Option #2, while honestly very tempting, requires too much capital, time, and the desire to work retail.

Option #3, however, is a fabulous idea!  There are 2 unsuspecting fans of The Clueless Chick who will be receiving a nice little care package, and a few personal friend’s of mine who will be getting some additional pressure to start the families they have been talking about (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

I won’t lie; it did make me sad to think that I won’t be wearing any of these clothes again.  While I am not opposed to having more babies, chances are we won’t even though I LOVE being pregnant (60 lbs., acid reflux, bed rest and all).  There is just nothing in the world like feeling those little kicks and jabs – they make all of the morning sickness, heartburn, and sciatica pain worth it.

If you have a stash of maternity clothes you haven’t touched in years, it’s time to start purging!  Do a little pre-Spring cleaning of your own then find a pregnant girlfriend, local maternity consignment store, or better yet, a charity that helps pregnant women in need and drop off those boxes.  Freeing up all of that space will give you plenty of room for something fun!

Now if I could only get inspired to have my wedding gown cleaned a preserved……

Until next time,
Jennifer
AKA Chick #1

P.S. For tips on saving money on maternity clothes and not making the over-buying mistakes I did pick up a copy of Pregnancy Tips for the Clueless Chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment